At South Hill Foot & Ankle Clinic, we are proud to offer an array of minimally-invasive procedure options to better serve all of our patients who are seeking relief from foot and ankle problems. Let’s explore these various procedures, how they can benefit you, and the conditions we can address with them.
There is an array of benefits for using minimally-invasive procedures, including:
- Small incisions – Open traditional surgeries need larger areas opened, but state-of-the-art technologies do not need as much room for our surgeons to achieve our objectives.
- Less pain – It is always our goal to reduce your pain, so we like being able to not cause more from a traditional open procedure.
- Low risk of infection – With the smaller incisions, less internal tissue is exposed. This means there is less risk for a potentially concerning infection.
- No hospital stays – Given that many of these procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, there is usually no need for any hospital stay, but you will not be there long if hospitalization is necessary.
- Quick recovery time – We know you want to get back to your life, so a shorter recovery time is a great benefit.
- Less scarring – This is another benefit that ties into the smaller incisions used in these kinds of procedures. You will not have to worry about a big scar on your foot or ankle.
- Less anesthesia – It is worth noting that a procedure with less anesthesia not only reduces the risk of physical issues, but it will also save you money.
Types of Minimally-Invasive Procedures
Many simple surgeries have been developed throughout the years that have been able to take away the need for various complex procedures. As we look at the ones related to foot and ankle care, these advanced procedures include arthroscopy, endoscopy, tendon repair, scar tissue removal, tendon debridement, bone fusions, correction procedures for certain toe deformities (hammer, claw, and mallet toes), and HyProCure.
In these minimally-invasive procedures, doctors utilize various techniques to operate on a patient with less physical trauma on the body than is experienced with open surgery. Generally-speaking, these are safer options than open surgery, and they allow for shorter recovery periods with less scarring pain. Typically, these procedures are performed on an outpatient basis or only need a brief hospital stay.
Continual innovations in minimally-invasive surgery mean there is an ever-expanding list of procedures and conditions that can be treated without needing open surgery. The first of these kinds of surgeries was laparoscopy. It is performed with the use of small tubes, tiny video cameras, and surgical instruments. Now technology has advanced to the point where robotic surgery—where a magnified 3-D view of the surgical site gives the surgeon greater flexibility, control, and precision—can be used in some cases.
Some of the conditions that no longer require the use of complicated medical procedures due to technological advances are: bunions, hammertoe, heel pain, diabetic foot ulcers, hallux rigidus (stiff big toe), plantar warts, and misaligned feet (which can result in many different issues).
Exceptional Foot Care in Spokane
Our commitment at South Hill Foot & Ankle Clinic is to provide exceptional services for foot and ankle issues for all of our patients. Depending on your condition, we may recommend the use of a minimally-invasive procedure to properly correct the problem and give you the pain relief you need. Of course, we won’t know what the best course of treatment is for you until you come in and see us!
For more information on the various services we offer, or to find out more about these kinds of procedures, call us at (509) 747-0274 to connect with our Spokane, WA office. You can also request an appointment online right now.